The Symbiosis Start-up Competition was launched in June, 2016 by the Symbiosis Centre for Entrepreneurship and Innovation, and was powered by SIBM, Pune .
This was the brain child of Dr. Vidya Yeravdekar- Principal Director- Symbiosis.
A total of 350 teams registered for the competition. After two levels of screening, the Top 13 teams were selected for the final round. These finalist received mentorship from –
- Dr. Arvind Chinchure, Chair Professor -Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Symbiosis International University
- Mr. Tarun Markose, Co Founder and Director, Teemac
- Mr. Vikram Kumar, Co Founder and Director, SRV Media
- Dr. Shyam Vasudev Rao, Co-Founder, Forus Healthcare
- Mr. Sharat Satyanarayana, Startup Mentor and Angel Investor
- Mr. Rajiv Prakash, Founder, Next In
The Grand Finale was held on 23rd September, 2016 at the Symbiosis International University Lavale Hilltop Campus.
The members of the top 13 teams were students from SIBM Pune, SCMS Noida, SCMHRD Pune, SCMS Pune and SSE Pune.
The Finalists presented variety of innovative ideas from the field including Agriculture, Food and Hospitality, Technology, Senior Health Care, Logistics etc.
A novel voting system was put in place wherein students could vote for the top teams presenting their start-up ideas. All they had to do was download the app ‘Symbiosis Start-up Competition’ from the google play store and vote if the idea presented was Excellent, Very Good, Good, Average or Not a Great Idea. SRV media Pvt Ltd created and sponsored the app for the competition .
The esteemed jury panel that judged the competition comprised of –
- Mr. Vikram Limsay, CEO Helicon Consulting & Managing Director ProCycle Sports
- Mr. Sunil Shirole, Managing Director & CEO, Yen Capital Advisors Pvt. Ltd.
- Mr. Unni Krishnan, Managing Director & CEO, Thermax Ltd.
- Mr. Rakesh Kaul, Partner, Government & Public Services PricewaterhouseCoopers Private Limited
- Mr. Anil Joshi, Founder and Managing Partner, Unicorn India Ventures
- Mrs. Rema Subramanian, Co-Founder and Managing Partner, Ankur Capital
- Mr. Sanjeev Chachodia, Operating Partner, NSR Growth Capital (PE Fund)
- Mr. Vineet Chadha, Partner, Tata Capital Innovations Fund
- Dr. Vidya Yeravdekar, Principal Director, Symbiosis Society
A total cash prize was of Rs.10 lakh was distributed for the winning teams.
The Grad Finale Winners who took away the cash prize of 3 Lakh were from Symbiosis School of Economics and the team comprised of Harsh Kedia, Saswati Banerjee and Sneha Roy and their venture was ” A Diabetic Café, caters to the provision of Healthy Food”
The first runners up were from Symbiosis Centre for Management Studies, Noida who won the cash prize of 2.5 Lakh. The team comprised of Prabhat B, Satvik K, Sarthak J, Kanishka M, Gungeet S, Saransh M and Samaksh N
The second runners up were from SIBM, Pune who won the cash prize of 2.0 Lakh. The team comprised Sayantan M, Kundan R, Atishay J, Harika B, Ankita A and Subhanjoy Roy all of them pursuing thier MBA ( Innovation and Entrepreneurship) from SIBM, Pune
These top three teams will also get an opportunity to incubate their idea in the SCEI Incubator located at Lavale
The Fourth and Fifth place was also from SIBM, Pune who won the cash prize of 1.5 Lakh and 1.0 Lakh respectively. The fourth place was taken by Shubham Paliwal and Piyush Modi, and the Fifth place was taken by Gangadhar Jadhav.
Prof. Madhura Bedarkar from SIBM, Pune , was the faculty in charge for the event and did a meticulous job in planning and coordinating for the event.
Dr.Rajini Gupte Vice Chancellor – SIU was present for the prize distribution and congratulated the winning teams.All members of the jury, appreciated the event and the program concluded with a vote of thanks by Dr. Ramakrishnan Raman, Director, Symbiosis Institute of Business Management – Pune, and Dr. Aravind Chinchure, Chair Professor of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Symbiosis International University.
Dr R Raman
Director- SIBM, Pune